Monday, November 5, 2007

Vladimir Vukicevic's presentation on Debugging

According to Vladimir; the most important parts of debugging are setting up break points and watching how data is being manipulated through the program. Vladimir compared two major types of debuggers Visual Studio, and GDB. GDB is a more command line based debugger which is harder to use, but Vlad found this to be his debugger of choice over Visual studio debugger (or atleast thats what I took from it)

The advantages of using Visual Studio debugger was the ability to use the GUI for easier break point setting compared to GDB which is all command line and harder to implement break points. The advantage of setting break points or watch points is they are a good way to track data changes in bytes withing an address location. Vlad also talked about EMAX which has a hook up to GDB which offers a certain level of user interface for GDB. Vlad also stressed on that fact that debugging does not solve a bug; it merely helps you to retrieve a bunch of data that helps in removing bugs; sometimes debugging might just lead you to dead ends but there are those times when it can be very useful

Vlad also mentioned Venkeman and Firebug which are useful Java script debuggers. He then talked about dTrace or Dynamic Trace which is a way to track or trace execution of code /files over a running program. It is often a good way to show when files are being used, and or accessed, and network connections are being made.

He then talked about probes used within GDB. His purpose for a probe or my understanding of his purpose of a probe is that they are used to identify target areas where the code addresses certain data variables and where the changes are being made or updated. Probes are used as a way of defining the "target" for a certain file area to be addressed during debugging. Vlad also noted that GDB has a tendency to be buggy or crash in a Linux based environment.

Vlad also touched on Chronicle which is a framework that provides complete registry and memory level recording for linux processes and efficient queries over the recorded traces. Chronomancer is another program that offers a GUI front end for Chronicle.

Overall it was a very informative session and was definitely a unique and unparalled opportunity to watch one of the programming elites of Mozilla going through and breaking down what he does for a living.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I think polite post. Expressly the designation attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I assent to but I about the collection should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

good evening friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been digging as far as something that exact make. The prices due to the fact that the boots were all over 180 dollars everwhere. But completely I found this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

WinGDB.com team said...

Hello,

GDB is really powerful debugger with many useful features, although a lot of people unfortunately don't manage with it. Therefore we've created an add-in which makes possible debugging with GDB under Visual Studio. If anybody would be interested, then just check our site :-)

p.s.
if this message looks to you as spam, please excuse us and delete it

Kind regards,
WinGDB.com team

Anonymous said...

hi people. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices for the sneakers are about 220 pounds on every page. But for all I base this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone

Just introduce myself: I am a man (says my wife), I am 50 years old (hmm, that looks bad isn't it?) and I am a terrible bad programmer (I say myself).
My hobbies: computer (of course), my 17 years old son and of course my wife. I like to play billiard, I do a very little bit and very simple programming in VB and I try to make a site for my billiard-club in the near future.

so how is everyone doing? Dennis from [url=http://www.myonlinepayday.com]My Online Payday[/url] website!